The human body is composed of seven major energy centers called chakras. The solar plexus chakra (also called Manipura) is the third primary chakra located two inches above the navel. This chakra point corresponds to our personality, self-discipline, and self-worth.
Opening the solar plexus chakra can be an intense and painful experience. Some of the physical symptoms of solar plexus chakra opening include stomach problems, loss of appetite, palpitations, and insomnia. There can also be psychological symptoms, such as trust issues, low self-esteem, and self-doubt.
Chakras are energy vortexes that significantly affect our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual states. Although opening the chakras can be an overwhelming experience, it can help us realize our full potential, control our emotions, gain enlightenment, and achieve our highest good.
Some Symptoms of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
The solar plexus chakra or Manipura is also referred to as the power chakra because it’s responsible for cultivating our inner power. It’s only appropriate that the element of fire and the color yellow represent this chakra point.
When the solar plexus chakra is well-balanced, in harmony, or aligned, you feel centered and empowered. You respect yourself, know your worth, and are in touch with your inner power. There’s a sense of peace and calm within you because you’re in control of your emotions.
Consequently, when this chakra is out of harmony or misaligned, you feel too inadequate to function. Hence, you feel the need for validation from other people. Eventually, your feelings of inadequacy can turn into feelings of self-hatred.
As mentioned earlier, opening the solar plexus chakra (or the major chakras in general) brings many benefits. However, it’s also significant to note that an open chakra can become a two-edged sword.
With an open chakra point, we become freer to express ourselves. It’s not the same for everyone, however.
Some people open their chakra too soon, while others open it too much. The result is that they become more vulnerable and attuned to negative energies.
Discerning how to open your solar plexus chakra and knowing how to protect yourself from unwanted energies come hand in hand. The same goes for the other chakra points.
Opening the power chakra brings mostly harmful effects, but they’re not long-lasting if you keep the chakra balanced. Opening any chakra point means clearing energy blockages. Therefore, a more intense symptom signifies the removal of worse energy blockages.
Although opening the solar plexus chakra mostly affects the organs in the digestive system, it’s crucial to note that its effects aren’t limited to physical implications. There can also be adverse effects on your mental, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing. Therefore, it’s crucial to be aware of its symptoms, such as the ones indicated below.
Physical Symptoms of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
- Decreased appetite
- Body shaking or trembling
- Heart palpitations (can be felt in chest, throat, or neck)
- Difficulty in falling asleep, staying asleep, or both
- Colon or intestinal problems
- Acute or chronic indigestion
Psychological Symptoms of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
- Trust issues
- Fear of commitment
- Feelings of intimidation
- Low self-esteem
- Low self-confidence
- Lack of regard for oneself
- Inability to take responsibility when making decisions
- Sensitivity to criticism
- Repressed anger
- Need for dominance or control
How to Open Your Solar Plexus Chakra
You can open your solar plexus chakra by doing the Upward Plank pose, also known as Purvottanasana (which loosely translates to intense eastward facing stretch). The following yoga exercise must be repeated three times.
- To begin, sit with your legs outstretched in front of you. Straighten your legs. Inhale and elongate your spine.
- Place your hands behind your hips but make sure your fingertips are pointing towards your feet and not the other way around.
- For the third step, remember to keep your feet on the floor. Now, slowly bend your knees with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a deep breath and as you exhale, straighten your arms and lift your hips. Your legs and upper body must form a straight line.
- Raise your chest as much as you can and slowly roll your shoulders back. Relax your head but make sure to support your neck.
- Stay in that position and take three deep breaths. Upon the third exhale, slowly lower your back and go back to the initial pose.
Through Symbolic Hand Gestures or Mudra
A mudra (Sanskrit word, meaning “seal”) is a symbolic pose or gesture mostly done with the hands and fingers. The purpose of this practice is to channel the flow of prana, our vital life force.
There are more than 400 known mudras across different religious traditions. One of them is the Matangi mudra, which is used to open the solar plexus chakra and evoke self-confidence.
- Take a seat and bring your palms together in a worshiping pose (or the gesture used for the Namaste greeting). Your hands must be in front of your solar plexus chakra (two inches above your navel).
- Intertwine all your fingers except your middle fingers. Stretch both of your middle fingers and keep them aligned.
- Close your eyes and take several deep breaths. Observe the movement of your diaphragm as you do this.
- Feel the energy coming from your solar plexus chakra.
- You can remain in this position for five minutes or repeat this seven times.
Aside from yoga, meditation also helps in opening any major chakra. Some people incorporate yoga in their meditation, especially when they need to align or unblock their chakras. You can follow the meditation guide below to open, strengthen, or heal your solar plexus chakra.
- Find a calm and quiet place where you can meditate. Take a seat, relax, elongate your spine, and then close your eyes.
- Place your hands above your navel. Focus on your solar plexus chakra. Feel its energy and how its power flows in and out of you.
- Visualize a yellow round sphere radiating from your abdomen. Imagine it glowing and becoming brighter.
- Envision the yellow ball of light slowly rotating clockwise as it becomes brighter. Feel yourself becoming more relaxed and your abdomen feeling warmer.
- To conclude the meditation, take a deep breath and take some time to feel the power of the solar plexus chakra.
- Slowly open your eyes and say a prayer of gratitude.
Affirmations hold great power. Every thought, action, or remark is an affirmation, and it’s the starting point on the path of manifestation. If you have issues with your self-confidence, self-esteem, or self-worth, saying positive affirmations can help open your solar plexus chakra.
It’s significant to note that you must say positive affirmations daily because doing this will enable your subconscious to align with your conscious life. You can create specific phrases for your particular circumstance. If you need guidance, you can use the positive affirmations below as a guide.
- I belong to myself.
- I value myself and I know my worth.
- I’m confident and at peace with myself and others.
- I feel empowered, and I’m comfortable using my inner power to achieve my highest good.
- I respect and care for myself.
- I confront my demons, my darkest fears, and regrets with courage.
- I have the determination and motivation to fulfill my life purpose.
- I focus only on the things that I can control.
- I know my boundaries and I make sure other people know it too.
- I no longer bind myself to past traumas and negative experiences.
- I’m enthusiastic about pursuing my passion and goals.
- I’m the driver of my life, and only great things are waiting for me.
- I don’t wish to control or dominate other people.
Through the Use of Crystals
As mentioned earlier, the color yellow represents the solar plexus chakra. Thus, the best stones or crystals to use for opening, balancing, or healing this chakra point usually have a yellow hue. Tiger’s eye, yellow agate, yellow citrine, yellow jasper, yellow calcite, yellow serpentine, amber, chrysoberyl, rutilated quartz, and yellow topaz are some of the most powerful stones for the solar plexus chakra.
The options can be overwhelming, especially for beginners in crystal healing. To choose the best stone or crystal for you, feel their energies by holding them and select the one that resonates the most with you.
To keep it near you at all times, you can wear the crystal of your choice as an accessory. If you wish to balance your solar plexus chakra, place the stone above your navel. It also helps to use one or a combination of the crystals mentioned above when you’re meditating, doing yoga, or chanting affirmations.
Benefits of Opening the Major Chakra Points
All the major chakra points are connected. You can only work on your solar plexus chakra once you ensure that the first and second chakras are opened, aligned, and well-balanced. Therefore, it helps to learn about the other major chakra points, including the benefits of opening them.
The Root Chakra (Muladhara)
The first chakra is the root chakra, and it’s located at the base of the spine. Also called the base chakra, the root chakra corresponds to our center of stability. It affects our sense of security, stability, sensuality, and sexuality.
When your root chakra is misaligned or out of balance, you feel disconnected from nature, your immediate environment, and the people around you. You might sense that your basic needs aren’t being provided. At the same time, you might feel that your safety is compromised for some unknown reason.
Opening your base chakra can help with the issues mentioned. Physically, emotionally, and mentally, you’ll feel a sense of security and stability. You’ll also be calmer when dealing with nerve-wracking or distressing situations.
The Sacral Plexus Chakra (Svadisthana)
Above the root chakra is the sacral plexus chakra (also called the second chakra, sacral chakra, pelvic chakra, or navel chakra). This chakra point represents our creative potential, self-expression, and capacity to connect with others.
The signs of an unbalanced sacral plexus chakra include lack of creativity, lack of inspiration, difficulty expressing oneself, and being out of touch with pleasure. Inability to attract abundance is also a symptom of a misaligned sacral plexus chakra.
If you open your pelvic chakra, your creative juices will flow freely, and you’ll be able to express yourself without feelings of shame. At the same time, you’ll be able to build and maintain healthy relationships with the people around you.
The Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
As stated earlier, the third chakra or the solar plexus chakra represents our sense of worth, personal power, mental strength, and spiritual growth. When this chakra is unbalanced, we feel powerless and undeserving.
A balanced power chakra will help you feel centered and whole again. You’ll discover your hidden potential and acknowledge and accept other people’s perspectives and beliefs. You’ll also find yourself working on your spiritual development.
The Heart Chakra (Anahata)
The fourth chakra sits at the center of the chest. It has a significant impact on our connection with our Higher Self, other people, and the Universe in general.
When the heart chakra is out of harmony, we find it hard to love ourselves and show compassion. Only by opening this chakra point can we cultivate love, joy, and compassion for ourselves and others.
The Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra and the first of the spiritual chakras. It corresponds to our authentic voice and our truths. In other words, this chakra point focuses on what and how we communicate.
A blocked or unbalanced throat chakra will prevent you from showing your authentic self. On the other hand, an open throat chakra will enable you to speak your truth, express yourself, and make wise decisions.
The Third Eye Chakra (Anja)
The third eye chakra (also known as the brow chakra or forehead chakra) is the seat of our insight and intuition. When the sixth chakra is out of harmony, we tend to reject our inner voice and become incapable of seeing beyond the physical. By opening this chakra, you’ll be able to listen to your intuition, reconnect with your Higher Self, and activate your gift of clairvoyance.
The Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
The crown chakra located at the center and top of the head is the seventh chakra and the last of the spiritual chakras. This chakra point represents our connection to the Universe and the Divine. Opening your crown chakra will help you gain enlightenment and explore what’s beyond your physical reality.
Finding a Spiritual or Energy Healer
Opening, activating, balancing, cleansing, or healing the chakras requires patience, sufficient knowledge, and practice. Merely looking out for possible signs or symptoms can be confusing. When in doubt, it’s best to ask for guidance from a professional spiritual or energy healer on this website who can help you identify the symptoms of solar plexus chakra opening.