Part of the journey of a human being is to fulfill their karmic destiny by correcting past mistakes. Tarot reading can help individuals assess certain experiences in their past and present to make more informed decisions in the future. A 10-card tarot reading spread is best for those with this objective.
Ten-card tarot reading spreads have layers upon layers of meaning, which provide the seeker more complex and deeper insights. Tarot readers can develop their own ten-card tarot spread, but the most commonly used is the Celtic Cross spread.
A spread is vital because each position in the spread has a unique meaning that adds insight to the interpretation of whatever card falls in that specific spot. For a ten-card tarot reading spread, a level of mastery in analyzing the dynamics of the cards is required.
The 10-Card Celtic Cross Tarot Spread
The Celtic Cross spread is the oldest pattern used in a tarot reading, yet it remains to be the most popular and most commonly used. Most beginners in tarot are first introduced to this spread because, despite its simple layout, it evokes a powerful message.
Because the Celtic Cross is used by so many people over the years, it produced many different versions that have slightly different position meanings. How it’s interpreted depends solely on the reader’s preferences.
From here on-wards, the cross formed by positions one and two will be called the Small Cross, and the circle formed by the positions numbered four to six will be called the Circle. These six positions as a whole will be referred to as the Cross.
The Cross and the Staff
The Celtic Cross is divided into two sections: the Cross, and the Staff (the positions numbered seven to ten). The small cross and the circle symbolizes the unity of the internal and external happenings in a person’s life.
The staff, on the other hand, pertains to the direct examination of a person’s life. The feminine energy of the Cross works with the masculine energy of the Staff to show the dual nature of the human psyche.
The Wheel and its Axis
The cross can be divided into yet another two sections: the Axis (formed by the Small Cross) and the Wheel (formed by the Circle). The axis represents the heart of the matter, and the wheel represents the events of a person’s life that surround the central issue.
Time and Consciousness
The cross can also be split into two sections: the horizontal line (positions 4, 1, 2, and 6) and the vertical line (positions 3, 2, 1, and 5). The horizontal line shows time and events happening in the external world from a person’s past to their future.
In contrast, the vertical line represents a person’s awareness, moving from the unconscious (the bottom) to the conscious (the top).
Some Keywords for Each Celtic Cross Position
- Position 1 – the heart of the matter; present environment (inner and outer); the primary factor
- Position 2 – secondary factor; opposing factor; factor for change; reinforcing factor
- Position 3 – root cause; unconscious influence; deeper meaning; unknown factor
- Position 4 – the past; receding influence; resolved factor; quality to let go
- Position 5 – attitudes and beliefs; conscious influence; goal or purpose; alternate future
- Position 6 – the future; approaching influence; unresolved factor; quality to embrace
- Position 7 – you as you are; you as you could be; you as you see yourself
- Position 8 – outside environment; someone else’s point of view and expectations; you as others see you
- Position 9 – guidance; key factor; hopes and fears; overlooked factor
- Position 10 – outcome (overall, actions, effects)
Other 10-Card Tarot Reading Spreads
Self Growth Tarot Spread
- Position 1 – your past self
- Position 2 – your current self
- Position 3 – your highest self
- Position 4 – what blocks your potential
- Position 5 – family patterns
- Position 6 – personal issues
- Position 7 – conscience
- Position 8 – desire
- Position 9 – lesson
- Position 10 – advice
Climb Every Mountain Spread
- Position 1 – What is my goal?
- Position 2 – What is my attitude?
- Position 3 – When should I begin?
- Position 4 – What is my challenge?
- Position 5 – How shall I meet this challenge?
- Position 6 – What happens if I give up?
- Position 7 – What happens if I persevere?
- Position 8 – Who offers me help?
- Position 9 – What will I discover?
- Position 10 – What is my reward?
Get Out of Debt Spread
- Position 1 – What is the primary reason I got into debt?
- Position 2 – How much debt do I owe?
- Position 3 – How will I pay for the basics?
- Position 4 – How do I refrain from buying things I don’t have cash for?
- Position 5 – What should I only spend my money on?
- Position 6 – How can I stop borrowing money from my family and friends?
- Position 7 – What should I do to budget my finances wisely?
- Position 8 – How can I track my spending?
- Position 9 – What financial approach will work for me?
- Position 10 – What is the result of implementing my plan
End a Family Feud Spread
- Position 1 – What is the current situation?
- Position 2 – What is the middle ground?
- Position 3 – What role do I play in this feud?
- Position 4 – What personal action can I do to heal?
- Position 5 – How can I find the strength to forgive truly?
- Position 6 – How can I be the bigger person?
- Position 7 – What is unsaid?
- Position 8 – What must be communicated?
- Position 9 – What guidance can we get from a third party?
- Position 10 – What is the outcome?
Walk Away or Try Harder Spread
- Position 1 – What is my calling, and what must I do?
- Position 2 – What happens if I walk away?
- Position 3 – What happens if I stay and work at it?
- Position 4 – What is the biggest challenge for me right now?
- Position 5 – How can I soothe any stress?
- Position 6 – What different approaches can I use?
- Position 7 – Who is my support system?
- Position 8 – What should I do to be truthful?
- Position 9 – How can I improve my knowledge and skills?
- Position 10 – How can I enjoy the journey?
Finding a Tarot Reader
A ten-card tarot reading provides holistic guidance and comprehensive answers. Usually, you can do a ten-card tarot reading on your own. However, this kind of spread needs a more in-depth analysis of the dynamics between the cards and the positions in the spread.
In choosing a great tarot reader, it’s best if you can learn more about them first, like their tarot reading style or their philosophy in regards to the tarot. Try to sense if you have the similar energy as the reader for a more fruitful reading.