Each of us has psychic organs called chakras, and these are energy vortexes that affect our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Our etheric body and physical body are connected. Similarly, just as how we maintain our physical health, it’s also crucial to look out for our energy body’s health.
You can address imbalanced or blocked chakras on your own through chakra healing. In general, chakra healing is usually achieved through meditation. You can also use crystals and essential oils to cleanse your energies.
The human body has seven major chakras: the four bottom chakras (the root chakra, sacral plexus chakra, solar plexus chakra, and heart chakra) concentrate on the physical, while the upper three (the throat chakra, third eye chakra, and crown chakra) signify our connection to the Divine. Each chakra point has a specific purpose, and it’s beneficial to learn about them because each entail specific chakra healing techniques.
I. Meditation as a Chakra Healing Method
Meditation for the Root Chakra
The first or base chakra is the root chakra (also called Muladhara), which sits at the base of the spine or tailbone. It’s represented by the color red and connected with the element of earth.
This chakra point is associated with physical needs, grounding, survival, and security because it represents our point of balance between the earth and the cosmos. When the root chakra is out of alignment or out of balance, we feel ungrounded and unsure of ourselves.
This root chakra meditation will allow you to welcome high-frequency energies. It will also help you experience and thoroughly embrace the gifts brought by this energy center. You can use the short meditation below as a guide.
- Find a comfortable meditation position. You can stand, sit, or lie down.
- Slowly lift your head and stretch all your limbs.
- Imagine your body as if it’s a tree. Feel your arms extend like they’re thin, blossom-laden branches and your fingernails like lovely leaves. Do the same for your legs.
- Feel your connection with mother nature or the bountiful Gaia.
- There exist many mother figure archetypes (e.g., the loving, generous mother, the dark, selfish mother, etc.). Take this time to determine which of these mothering energies will help you at the moment.
- Think of the areas in your life that need immediate attention and nourishment. Doing this will allow you to balance your root chakra energy better.
- Receive energies from earth (the Below) and the Source (the Above) to achieve enlightenment and a higher level of consciousness.
- Envision yourself in the middle of the Below and Above. Feel the energies flow through you and let the vibrations resonate within you.
- Imagine white light flowing from your feet upward to your root chakra and the other chakra points.
- Once the light is on the top of your head, let it reach the skies towards the cosmos.
- Feel your chakra gaining perfect balance. Let the feeling of safety and assurance relieve you. Talk to your spirit guides or guardian angels and ask them to grant you wisdom and peace.
- Take deep breaths. While exhaling, envision anchoring yourself to the earth. You’re now centered, grounded, whole, alive, and well. Embrace the gifts of the root chakra at once.
Meditation for the Sacral Plexus Chakra
The sacral plexus chakra or sacral chakra (also known as Svadisthana) is located right above the root chakra, at the level of the sacrum (two inches below the navel). This chakra point corresponds to creative potential, sexuality, and emotional stability. Hence, it’s hardly surprising that the element associated with it is water.
The power of the sacral plexus chakra allows us to express our creativity, explore our sexuality, and build healthy relationships. When this chakra is out of balance, we have difficulty processing and sharing our ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
This sacral plexus chakra meditation guide can help you find inner peace and develop acceptance, not just of yourself but also of other people. Moreover, it can also help you express yourself with ease, enhance your creativity, and promote sexual intimacy in your relationship.
- Take deep breaths and focus on the present. Be conscious of your surroundings, the ground beneath you, and everything else. Think of what’s happening in your life at the moment.
- Connect with your sacral chakra by viewing yourself as a creative entity full of passion and desire. Envision the very essence of your being flowing in and out of you.
- Think of the things in life that give you pleasure, and ask yourself how you can engage more with these things from now on.
- Once you come into terms with your desires and how you’ll fulfill them, take the time to give gratitude for the blessings coming your way.
Meditation for the Solar Plexus Chakra
Manipura or the solar plexus chakra (also referred to as the power chakra) is situated two inches above the navel. The solar chakra is the energy center of both inner power and confidence, and it’s represented by the color yellow and the element of fire.
Repressed anger can cause energy blocks in your power chakra. You might feel intimidated and sensitive to criticism. Energy blocks in this chakra point can also manifest as arthritis, diabetes, and intestinal problems.
When the solar plexus chakra is out of harmony, we either become perfectionists to the point of being overly demanding; or we lose our confidence and sense of self. The following meditation exercise can help strengthen and enhance our inner power to feel whole and centered once again.
- Sit in the center of a quiet room and visualize yourself transporting to the middle of a beach on a sweltering day.
- Feel the heat embracing you and the gentle breeze soothing you. At this point, you can also feel the sand tickling your feet.
- Imagine the sunlight shining directly on you, giving you power. The sun is beaming down on the top of your head and all over your body. Feel your connection with the sun strengthening.
- Visualize a door appearing right in front of you. Behind that door is the right path for you.
- Take a few deep breaths. Once you’re ready to walk through that door, pray to your angels and spirit guides to accompany you on your journey.
Meditation for the Heart Chakra
The heart chakra or Anahata is the fourth chakra, and it sits at the center of the chest. Its representative color is green, and it’s associated with the element of air. This chakra point enables us to connect to ourselves, give and accept love, as well as spread joy.
If the heart chakra is unbalanced or isn’t aligned with the other chakra points, we feel like we don’t have a place in the world. We have trouble loving ourselves, making it difficult for others to love us as well.
A possible energy block in the heart chakra can be due to repressed grief or pain. Meditation can help you let go of negative emotions, and in return, avoid energy blocks.
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes, and take a deep breath.
- Release all the tension, stress, and anxiety as you exhale. Focus on the now.
- Put both of your hands over your heart.
- Visualize a bright green light glowing from your chest. This light comes from your heart center, and it signifies unconditional love.
- Imagine the green light from your heart transferring into your hands. You’re now holding healing light energy, and you can send this to every place of your body that needs healing.
- Position your hands over your heart, fold them into a prayer position, and offer words of gratitude.
Meditation for the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra (also known as Vissudha) is the fifth chakra point and the first of the spiritual chakras, and evidently, it’s located at the throat or the hollow of the collarbone. It’s associated with communication, self-expression, and truths.
A well-balanced throat chakra denotes speaking one’s truth. We can hear our inner voice, listen well to others, and express ourselves without difficulty.
When the throat chakra is out of alignment, we feel hesitant to share our thoughts, ideas, and feelings. The following meditation guide will help you improve your self-expression and enhance your creative talents.
- Take deep breaths, relax the muscles around your throat, and swallow intentionally.
- Connect with your Higher Self and determine your deepest truth. Acknowledging your deepest truth will free you from personal restraints and make you feel alive.
- Once you know the answer, ponder about it. Let the truth you unveiled for yourself uncover other truths.
- Calm the storm in your mind and let the truth embrace and give you inner peace.
- To conclude the meditation, ask your angels and spirit guides to let you always see the truth in every situation and circumstance.
Meditation for the Third Eye Chakra
Ajna, the sixth chakra and the second of the spiritual chakras (also called third eye chakra or brow chakra), is associated with intuition and spiritual insight. The third eye chakra sits in the center of the forehead, and it serves as the command center of the whole chakra system.
The gift of the sixth chakra is wisdom and spiritual awareness. When this chakra point is unbalanced, we tend to disregard our inner voice, reject spiritual guidance, and only see things at face value. You can use the following meditation guide to balance and heal your third eye chakra.
- Close your human eyes and open your third eye. You can do this by imagining a blank screen and projecting the happiest moment of your life on it.
- The next scenario you need to imagine is the time in your life when you were most confident. Do this as if you’re switching channels on a television.
- Change the screen to an image of yourself right at this very moment. Ponder about the areas in your life that need improvement.
- Feel yourself connecting with your Higher Self and embracing the power of the third eye chakra.
Meditation for the Crown Chakra
The crown chakra or Sahasrara (the third and last of the spiritual chakras) connects our Higher or Inner Self to the Divine, and it’s located at the top of the head. The seventh chakra represents our connection to the world and beyond.
When it’s under-stimulated, we tend to keep to ourselves and avoid communicating with other people, especially our loved ones. On the other hand, when the crown chakra is overactive, we become depressed, sometimes to the point of self-destruction. The meditation below can help you balance your seventh chakra.
- Imagine yourself wearing a crown made of amethyst and purple roses. Visualize the crown emitting a violet light.
- Embrace the sovereignty the power of the crown chakra gives you.
- Think about yourself and the life you’re currently living. Release all the negative thoughts that serve you no purpose.
- Extend both your arms to the sides. Feel and envision positive energy flowing from your root chakra to your crown chakra. Note that during this time, you might experience dizziness, tingling, or warmth/coldness.
- Visualize a halo surrounding your head. This ring of light signifies truth and wisdom.
- Conclude the meditation by saying words of gratitude for the blessing of connecting with the Divine.
II. Using Crystals for Chakra Healing
Spiritual and psychic healers use crystals to heal, rebalance, draw out energy, or redirect them. Crystals can also elevate our consciousness and nourish our unique gifts.
One can use crystals and stones in a variety of ways, the most common being wearing them as accessories or carrying them in your pocket at all times. For chakra healing, the crystal or stone is placed on the specific chakra point that needs work.
It’s significant to note that crystals must be cleansed before using them for energy work. You can clean them by smudging them with white sage, placing them under the moonlight overnight, or soaking them in saltwater. Below is a list of crystals you can use to heal each energy center.
- Root chakra – ruby, garnet, fire agate, red jasper, red aventurine, bloodstone, black tourmaline, hematite, obsidian, onyx, lodestone, smoky quartz
- Sacral plexus chakra – carnelian, amber, coral, imperial topaz, goldstone, moonstone, sunstone, orange tourmaline, orange calcite, tangerine quartz
- Solar plexus chakra – amber, rutilated quartz, orpiment, pyrite, calcite, yellow citrine, yellow topaz, yellow tiger’s eye, yellow agate, yellow aventurine, yellow jade
- Heart chakra – rose quartz, emerald, green tourmaline, jade, green calcite, green kyanite, peridot, pink tourmaline, girasol, rhodochrosite, chrysoprase, idocrase
- Throat chakra – turquoise, blue kyanite, aquamarine, celestite, iolite, sodalite, lapis lazuli, amazonite
- Third eye chakra – lapis lazuli, amethyst, fluorite, lepidolite, sugilite, sodalite, tanzanite, clear quartz, star sapphire, kyanite, blue aventurine, labradorite
- Crown chakra – amethyst, clear quartz, Herkimer diamond, labradorite, moonstone, selenite, phenacite, kunzite, apophyllite, white topaz, lepidolite, purple fluorite, scapolite
III. Using Essential Oils for Chakra Healing
Since ancient times, essential oils have been used for different practices, including physical and spiritual healing. All plants have an energetic resonance, and each corresponds to treating both the energy body and the physical body.
In chakra healing, all you need to do is apply five to six drops of essential oil to your chakra point that needs attention. If you have sensitive skin, it’s best not to administer the oil directly to your skin. You can rub the essential oil between your palms instead.
It’s advisable to chant a positive affirmation while anointing yourself with essential oil. The following is a list of oils that work best for each of the chakra points.
- Root chakra – myrrh, spikenard, vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood
- Sacral plexus chakra – sandalwood, rosewood, patchouli, ylang-ylang, lemon
- Solar plexus chakra – lemon, rosemary, lavender, rosewood, Roman chamomile
- Heart chakra – rose, ylang-ylang, geranium, neroli, bergamot, palmarosa, lavender, lemon balm
- Throat chakra – lavender, rosemary, frankincense, hyssop, German chamomile
- Third eye chakra – sandalwood, lavender, frankincense
- Crown chakra – lotus, frankincense, sandalwood, peppermint
Chakra healing is by no means an easy process, and you must be patient as you familiarize yourself with your chakras. It’s significant to remember that chakra healing is only a means to an end. Regardless if you wish to solve a personal issue, explore your psychic make-up, or gain enlightenment, you must be gentle with yourself.
Although you can do a lot of things on your own when it comes to chakra healing, you might still want to receive assistance from a practitioner. Spiritual healers and psychic healers can guide you in your beautiful journey towards achieving your highest good.